Looking for a Good Tax Accountant in Hawaii?

My name is Mark Lee. I’m a CPA on the island of Maui and I help Canadians who own vacation rentals and other real estate investments here in the Aloha state. If you’re looking for expert assistance with your US and Hawaii tax compliance matters, chose a firm that understands the concerns and requirements of Canadian investors doing business in Hawaii.

Mark Lee, CPA Wailuku (Maui) Hawaii, USA

Mark Lee, CPA Wailuku (Maui) Hawaii, USA

International clients have have special needs. Serving people thousands of miles away requires a strong commitment to service. Nothing else works.

hawaii flag.png
canadian flag.png

A Detailed Look at Tax Requirements for Canadians Operating Rental Real Estate in Hawaii

Owning rental real estate in Hawaii is a popular investment for Canadian citizens. There are many advantages to investing in Hawaii real estate. The tax and regulatory environment is not one of them.

I help Canadian citizens file US and HI tax returns here in the Aloha state. I handle setting up your tax accounts and accomplish routine filings, and provide other assistance to Canadian clients online. I have been a CPA for 30 years and provide tax preparation and filing services from my office on Maui. I serve international clients with business in the Hawaiian Islands. Most of my Canadian clients own condo properties and have retained local property managers. I provide tax advice, preparation, and filing services for my Canadian clients and serve as their “person on the ground” in Hawaii.

You will be required to file the following returns if you purchase and operate rental real estate in Hawaii:

  • US Federal Income Tax Form 1040NR non-resident personal income tax return(s)

    • This is the basic federal return required of all foreign citizens to report and pay tax on personal income earned in the United States.

    • If you are married and hold the property in common (jointly) each spouse is required to file a separate 1040NR.

  • Hawaii State Income Tax Form N-15 non-resident personal income tax return.

    • This return is very similar to the federal return and is prepared in conjunction with that return

    • Hawaii state returns are more complex than most state (or province) returns. There are significant differences in the treatment of some depreciable assets.

  • Hawaii General Excise and Transient Accommodation tax returns (GET & TAT)

    • Depending on the island you will be responsible to pay the following rates of tax on your collection of gross rents in Hawaii

    • GET tax ranges from 4.0 to 4.5 percent. 

    • TAT tax ranges from 10.25 to 10.75 percent

    • If you rent for periods of 30 days or longer, the TAT tax is not applicable.

Most property owners ‘call out’ these rental taxes on their short term rentals and state the GET and/or TAT taxes separately from the lodging charges, similar to a hotel bill. Long-term rentals ( >30 days) typically build the GET tax into the rent. Remember no TAT is due on rentals over 30 days. Be aware that whether you disclose and collect the GET tax, or simply roll it into the rental price – you are responsible for the tax – irrespective if you’ve collected from your renter or tenant.

Hawaii GET and TAT are the cause frequent confusion and occasional grief. Filing frequency varies from 3 to 13 returns due annually. Rates vary from island to island. And the requirements and filing procedures are not simple.

If you own – or if you’re thinking of owning – rental investment real estate in Hawaii it pays to have an experienced partner in the state.

Call or email today for further information and references. Preparation and filing of all required returns and assistance with obtaining required licencing and tax identification numbers, help with setting up first year filings, and specialized services.

Looking for a CPA in Hawaii to help with your rental property?